Hala Khalaf | April 21, 2013
It’s El Dia del Nino next week and what better way to celebrate Children’s Day – a fun-loving Mexican holiday – than by creating some fun in the kitchen with your child?
TAQADO Mexican Kitchen have very kindly agreed to share their recipe of Churros with us – Mexico’s answer to donuts, drizzled with a thick, scrumptious, dark chocolate sauce and dusted with cinnamon sugar.
Churros with hot chocolate sauce
For the churros:
250gm all-purpose flour
3gm baking powder
30ml vegetable oil
2ltr vegetable oil for frying
For the hot chocolate sauce:
300gm dark chocolate, such as Lindt
300gm full-fat milk
4gm cinnamon powder (optional)
For the cinnamon sugar:
100gm caster sugar
1 rounded tbsp cinnamon powder
1. Break the chocolate into small pieces into a bowl and add the cinnamon.
2. Place the milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil, then pour on top of the chocolate. Whisk together until smooth.
3. Make the cinnamon sugar simply by mixing the two ingredients together.
4. Place the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
5. Put the water and oil in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Once boiled, remove from the heat. Add the flour mixture to the hot water and stir vigorously.
6. Break the egg into a small bowl and whisk slightly, then pour into the dough mixture. Continue to mix until the dough is smooth and lump-free.
7. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead into a smooth round ball. Wrap with cling film and chill.
8. Place the cooking oil into a large shallow saucepan and place over medium heat. Meanwhile, place the chilled dough into a piping bag with a star-tip nozzle. Once the oil is hot (about 165-175 degrees) carefully pipe the mixture into the pan.
9. Once the churros are a deep golden-brown color, remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on some paper towel.
10. Dust with the cinnamon sugar and dip in the chocolate sauce.
El Dia del Nino – Mexican National Children’s Day – will be celebrated on Thursday, April 30. Head to TAQADO Mexican Kitchen in Dubai’s Mall of the Emirates (www.taqado.com, 04 385 1171, open 8am to midnight) and get a free serving of churros, served with a delicious chocolate dipping sauce, for children age 12 and under.